New information related to the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi al-Fayed has British police interested. Scotland Yard is reportedly taking the newly received information "seriously," and officers are currently assessing its "relevance and credibility."
Though British police have provided no details regarding the new information about Diana's death, it seems the information came from the in-laws of a former soldier and was passed on by the Royal Military Police. Scotland Yard confirmed in a statement Saturday that the assessment of the new information about Diana's death will be conducted by officers in the specialist crime and operations unit.
While the new information about Princess Diana's death has caught Scotland Yard's interest, the force stated emphatically that it was not reopening the investigation into the Paris car crash that killed Diana and al-Fayed on Aug. 31, 1997.
Princess Diana's death, and the death of her companion, al-Fayed, prompted an 11-year investigation that cost $12 million. As with any unexpected high-profile death, the death of Diana, Princess of Wales has inspired numerous conspiracy theories and rumors including speculation that Diana's former husband, Prince Charles, may have plotted to have her killed.
A British jury ultimately ruled that Diana and al-Fayed were unlawfully killed as a result of their driver's drinking and reckless driving. The driver, Henri Paul, also died in the crash. The jury also cited the reckless pursuit of the paparazzi who had been chasing Diana's car leading up to the crash.
Suspicion that Diana and al-Fayed were actually murdered was bolstered by al-Fayed's father, Mohamed al-Fayed, who insisted that the deaths were homicides. However, police and court investigations ruled out the idea due to insufficient evidence.
Al-Fayed's spokseman stated that he had no comment on the new information about the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi al-Fayed, but said that he will be "interested in seeing the outcome" and hopes that the London's Metropolitan Police will pursue the matter "with vigor."
No doubt the public will wonder how Diana's children, Prince William and Prince Harry, responded to news of fresh information regarding their mother's death. A royal spokseman said that Prince William, Prince Harry, and the Prince of Wales would not comment on the new information.