Is your skin oily in the summer and dry in the winter? You're not alone. Everything affects the skin. Cold air. Steamy temps. Even hormones. But the right products can change all that.
IFT's editors rounded up the best products for banishing blemishes and adding a dewy glow. We give you our Top 10:
10. L'Occitane Shea Butter Ultra Rich Body Cream, Price $42: Infused with sweet almond and honey extracts, apricot oil and vitamin E, this action-packed cream is ideal for flaky skin after a sunburn. The luxurious texture will make you feel like you've gone to a spa. We caution you, though: Do not use this on your face! It's way too heavy and will almost instantly clog pores.
9. Bliss Steep Clean Mask, Price $45: Desperately want a facial but don't have the time or money? In 15 minutes, this hard-working mask dissolves dead cells and debris that soap leaves behind. The exclusive combination of extracts and vitamins, exfoliates, brightens and prevents new breakouts. After using this twice a week, your friends will wonder what you did to get that flirty glow.
8. Dermalogica Precleanse, Price $24.04: We know. You've heard you should stay away from the soap at the drugstore. But what few people tell you is that a makeup remover is just as important as the cleanser you use. This light formula from Dermalogica removes excess oils left from foundation and blush without drying the skin. Remember to pay special attention to your hairline and jawline - two common areas for breakouts.
7. Kiel's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream, Price $29.99: Whether you have oily or combination skin, heavy moisturizers can lead to a neverending cycle of frustrating blemishes. This barely there formula protects the skin without leaving a heavy coating. This doesn't have SPF protection. So when using it for day, pair it with a foundation or tinted moisturizer that has a minimum of SPF 15. Its silky finish looks great under makeup. One warning: Wait five - ten minutes before applying foundation. This formula needs to set.
6. Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10, Maximum Strength 1, Price $5.27: Available at almost any drugstore, this product is the fastest-acting formula we've found anywhere. Giving $20 and $30 products a run for their money, this gel has the maximum strength of benzoyl peroxide seen in over-the-counter products. When the first signs of a blemish appear, lightly cover the trouble spot. Start out once at night. If it's still not working, add a second time in the morning. Though results are varied, we normally see a difference in a day and are blemish-free in three days. Editor tip: Apply a small drop of oil-free moisturizer above the gel to prevent drying out the skin.
5. Elizabeth W Sweet Tea Hand Lotion, Price $32: We love this product so much it's hard not to gush. The box has the prettiest pale-yellow pattern, which makes it a perfect gift for your sister or friend. There's a strong lemony fragrance when first applied, but it quickly fades to a light, airy scent. Ideal for the legs, arms or rough patches on the elbows. Store in your desk drawer for an extra pick-me-up when you're having a hard day. Only caution: The scent attracts mosquitoes. So don't apply before dining outside.
4. Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel, Price $26.49: It's no wonder the much-loved spa Blue Mercury sells this product at some of their locations - it works! Researched and developed by the International Dermal Institute, this foaming gel removes impurities and restores the skin's natural balance. Balm mint and lavender extracts calm the skin, nixing any extra redness or irritation. The best part? There are no artificial fragrances or colors added.
3. Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion With SPF 15, Price $8.12: Specially formulated for sensitive or acne-prone skin, this gentle, non-oily moisturizer replenishes the moisture stripped away by soap without creating additional buildup. Some oil-free formulas glide on top of the skin. This one penetrates deeply. Even those girls susceptible to breakouts can apply the product liberally multiple times a day. For those of you who wear foundation, it also acts as a perfect primer, helping the foundation stay in place all day.
2. Murad Clarifying Cleanser, Price $20.70: To say it's hard to find a cleanser that effectively fights breakouts is an understatement. Sure, oil-free formulas won't create new breakouts. But what about fixing the problem you have? Formulated by the legendary doctor Howard Murad, the cleanser seeps into the skin to reduce blemish-causing oil and bacteria. The 1.5% salicylic acid treatment both clears and prevents new acne from forming. Be aware that this product can cause drying. So we recommend using the cleanser at night without any additional acne treatment. And pile on the Purpose moisturizer - especially around the outer perimeter of the face.
1. Laura Mercier Creme Brulee Body & Bath Collection, Price: $55: Don't be discouraged by the price. At 12 oz., this rich formula will last four - six months if used sparingly. Considered the ultimate indulgence by fashionistas, this cream is graced with the aroma of a French patisserie. With key ingredients like sweet almond protein and macadamia nut oil, the rich formula creates a long-lasting sheen and smooth texture all day. Just be prepared: Your husband or boyfriend may get hungry when you start smelling like pastry!