Miss Universe 2015 has been a trending topic since its coronation night last month. Now, Steve Harvey admitted that he received death threats after his epic blunder of misannouncing the winner during the pageant night.
Speaking to Natalie Morales of "Today" show in Chicago, the 59-year-old veteran host confessed that he regretted it already. "I blew it in a big moment. And the person that was hurt the most was [Ariadna Gutierrez]," Steve told Natalie during their chat, which aired on Tuesday. "That was the greatest regret for me."
The "Family Feud" host also confessed that he was inundated with death threats and several insults via social media after the last month's pageant. To recall, Steve accidentally announced Ariadna as Miss Universe instead of the legal winner, Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach.
Ariadna, on the other hand, opened up on her side. "It was the happiest four minutes and a half that I ever had. I have been able to make an entire country happy. But after that, I felt horrible. I was crying a lot," Ariadna, who sit down with Steve shortly after filming their two-part special episode of the host's show entitled "Miss Universe: The Truth," told Morales. "Now I can say, 'OK, it was the worst night of my life, but it was the best one, too.'"
Ariadna and Steve had an emotional heart-to-heart conversation about the debacle on the first part of the two-part special. What surprised many is when Miss Universe Colombia poked fun at the situation and told the host to learn how to read cards.
Meanwhile, International Design Times previously reported about Steve saying he is sorry for committing such big mishap. "Immediately after it happened, they asked the pageant people to come to the press conference," Steve recollected.
"And at this point in the game, I'm not in the finger-pointing business and rolling people under the bus," he added. "So, I did what I was trained to do by my father ... You make a mistake and you own up to it. And I tried to fix it, I tried to fix it right there."