Galaxy S3 users have something to be excited about as Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update has just made its way to the Samsung device through a recent leak by SamMobile. The firmware update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 brings several changes and features similar to those found in the Samsung Galaxy S4. (To install the test version of Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on your Galaxy S3 see the instructions below.)
Though up to this point we thought it would still be a while till the Galaxy S4 received an update to Jelly Bean 4.2.2, according to a leaked video available at SamMobile. The video showcases the Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 test build update running on a Samsung Galaxy S3 and if rumors are to be believed, it looks like the new firmware will make its way to Galaxy S3 sometime in June.
The update brings with it a number of desirable features, which are currently found, on the Galaxy S4 such as a revamped lock screen, a range of new voice commands for navigating and controlling your device known as S Voice. The 4.2.2 upgrade also features, new screen display modes, the Daydream Samsung screensaver, which is customizable, and a number of notification center changes.
When looking at changes the JellyBean 4.2.2 update will bring to the Galaxy S3 it is also important to note the user interface (UI) has undergone some significant changes, such as white backgrounds for gallery modes, options being split into categories and more great new features only available with the firmware update.
Of course this version of Jelly Bean 4.2.2, which showed up in the leaked video at SamMobile, is just a test version so likely more changes and improvements are yet to come. However, if you really want to give the Android 4.2.2 operating system a go on your Galaxy S3 the we've included some direction for downloading and installing the latest Android firmware to your Galaxy S3 courtesy of SamMobile. In addition the full list of features and changes that come with the I9300XXUFME3 - Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean test firmware for the Galaxy S III.
Android 4.2.2 Update For Samsung Galaxy S3 Features and Changes
- Android 4.2.2 - Build ID: JDQ39
- New S4 Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- New Additions in Notification Center
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface - Exactly like the S4)
- Addition of Voice controls (Let's you control various parts of the phone using voice commands - Galaxy S4 feature)
- Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white)
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from S4)
- New smart switch widget
- Found more? Tell us about them in the comments below!
- This firmware will increase your binary counter but the current binary and system status will remain official.
- We have re-packaged this firmware from dump files.
- There is no modem in this firmware, so the Modem you will be using before flashing this firmware will remain the same.
- This is a pre-release firmware and not official from Samsung.
- We have fully tested this firmware and this firmware works perfectly as any other official firmware.
I9300XXUFME3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean For Galaxy S III Firmware Details
Android Version: 4.2.2 - JDQ39 (Jelly Bean)
Region: Middle East
Build Date: 8 May 2013
How to Install I9300XXUFME3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware On Galaxy S III
- Unzip the file
- Open Odin 3.04 (already included in the firmware package)
- Restart phone in download mode (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons)
- Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
- Add I9300XXUFME3_I9300OJKFME1_HOME.tar.md5 to PDA
- Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
- Start flash, sit back and wait a few minutes.
- If you encounter any issues with the firmware (Any FC, Bootloop etc)
- Boot into recovery mode (Home+power+vol up)
- Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
- Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!
Do you own a Galaxy S3? Will you be trying the latest 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware on the device? Tell us about your experience in the comments section below.