The sorority girl email that went viral recently has received backlash from the public and of other Greek societies. After the letter was published by Gawker with the headline "The Most Deranged Sorority Girl Email You Will Ever Read," it quickly circulated the internet and became a hot topic.
The sorority girl email was a curse-laden, verbal assault on the members of the girl's sorority chapter. The young woman threatened to "punt" her sisters if they didn't stop being "so f**king BORING" and "so f**king AWKWARD" at sorority events. The sorority girl goes on to say "I would apologize but I really don't give a f**k."
The Daily Mail chooses these phrases as their highlights from the sorority girl email rant:
- 'I will f**king c**t punt the next person I hear about doing something like that'
- 'Are you people f**king retarded? That's not a rhetorical question'
- 'Don't f**king show up unless you're going to stop being a g*d**n c**k block for our chapter'
- 'SIGMA NU IS NOT GOING TO WANT TO HANG OUT WITH US IF WE F***ING SUCK'
- 'I would rather have 40 girls that are fun, talk to boys, and not f***ing awkward than 80 that are f***ing f*****s'
The sorority girl who wrote the email, who has been identified as Rebecca Martinson, also came under fire for her very inappropriate Twitter account. Her posts on the social media channel took digs at people of different ethnicities and sexual orientations, and her Twitter has since been deleted:
- "one of the perks of going to class ugly is that the Mexicans working along the sidewalk don't try to talk to me #fug4thewin #nottryinghard"
- "I like my men like I liked my karate movies. . .vaguely Asian but white enough that I can understand what they're saying"
- "Why am I not surprised that the girl w/ a pink mohawk and cargo pants is talking about LGBT rights when it doesn't even apply to this class"
- "You know you go to Maryland when the guy next to you at the gym is wearing a yammaca"
- "Old people everywhere"
Her colorful commentary ranged from sexual orientations ('Why am I not surprised that the girl w/ a pink mohawk and cargo pants is talking about LGBT rights when it doesn't even apply to this class'), religion ('you know you go to Maryland when the guy next to you at the gym is wearing a yammaca') and age ('old people everywhere').
Now, the sorority girl's chapter has announced that it has "accepted the resignation" of the sender of the email. The Delta Gamma sorority posted the following on their Facebook page:
Delta Gamma has accepted the resignation of one of its members whose email relating to a social event has been widely distributed and publicized through social media and traditional media channels.
The tone and content of the email was highly inappropriate and unacceptable by any standard.
No matter who released it to the public or how it reached such a mass audience, the email content should not reflect on any sorority woman in general or any fraternal organization at large.
This is a regrettable action by a college junior - a personal email that is now on view for a global audience. And as all reasonable people can agree, this is an email that should never have been sent by its author. Period.
This email should not be depicted in any way as standard or routine or tied to any official sorority voice. It is not an official voice or message and should not be construed as such.
For the young woman who wrote it, we can only express our regret and concerns for landing notoriety in this manner.
We now consider this matter closed.